Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Spring Break - Wednesday

OH ... the drama of grades!

Negotiations

I received my grade yesterday. It was a B. I was a bit shocked. I expected a B+. So I fired off an email to the TA:
Thanks for the information. I don't have any issues with my individual grades which are:
Electro Serve: B+
Beamer Buy: B+
Working Women: B+
Harborco: A-
Cascade: B
Participation: B+

What I would like to know is how the above translates into a B for my final grade. I don't know what process you used for determining final grades, but I was expecting a B+ for a grade ... not a B. Can you explain why I got a B for my final grade when I got mostly B+'s and only 1 B on the cases?

Thank you!

She responded later that day:
That is the way the grades were calculated. Then Dr. Pinkley decided the cutoffs for the final averages in relation to the rest of the class. Notice that it is only out of 95% also. Email her if you have more concerns.

This all happened yesterday. Along with this issue, there were other work related problems going on and it just wasn't my day.

Then karma blew in my direction. Last night before going to bed, I checked my email again and found this from the TA:
UNFORTUNATELY THERE WAS A MISTAKE IN THE GRADING PROCESS AND ALL OF YOUR GRADES WILL MOVE UP ONE LETTER GRADE (FOR EXAMPLE: IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE A B POSTED ON ACCESS, YOUR GRADE WILL CHANGE TO A B+).

THIS MIGHT TAKE A WHILE TO BE OFFICIALLY CHANGED ON ACCESS, BECAUSE IT IS A PROCESS TO CHANGE THE GRADES. IN THE MEANTIME, I WILL GO AHEAD AND POST YOUR GRADES ON BLACKBOARD SO THAT YOU CAN SEE WHAT THEY WILL LOOK LIKE ONCE THEY ARE ON ACCESS.

I AM GOING TO DISREGARD ANY EMAILS I HAVE GOTTEN TODAY CONCERNING THIS ISSUE BECAUSE THEY SHOULD ALL BE CLEARED UP AFTER READING THIS EMAIL. IF YOU STILL HAVE SOMETHING TO DISCUSS, EMAIL ME AGAIN WITH YOUR QUESTION.

SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!!!!!!!!! WE TRIED A DIFFERENT GRADING METHOD THIS MODULE (BAD IDEA!!!) AND I AM SO SORRY THAT YOU ALL HAD TO BE THE GUINEA PIGS!!

THIS EMAIL HAS ONLY BEEN SENT TO THE SPECIFIC PEOPLE WHOSE GRADE WILL BE CHANGING. THE GRADES FOR THE REST OF THE CLASS WILL STAND BECAUSE BY CHANCE, THEIRS WAS NOT AFFECTED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE

So I got a B+ for negotiations ... finally. I'm just glad I sent that email. I think there were about a dozen students that complained because that's how many she sent the email to.

Excel Modeling

Snir just came out with grades. I got a B in that class. I must have done well on my final. I was expecting a B- or a B at best. All our cases were B-, so I probably did well on the final case. I'll be going to campus today and I'll pick up my case and see what he thought of it.

Quixote Update

I didn't read last night.

Chess Update

No chess last night either.

The 3/8/06 chessgames.com puzzle is 22. ... ? There seems to be a number of things to do. What I'm aiming for is to block the white queen from defending e3. I want to place the black queen on e3. So to knock the white queen off, maybe Rg3. If Qxg3, then Bh4.

The answer is 22. ... Rg3 23. Qxg3 Bh4 ... right on! The games goes on to 40 moves, but black wins with a rook and an advanced pawn.

I hope to play some tonight ... I just need to log on and play rather than getting sucked into watching American Idol with my wife. I can't believe I just admitted that I watch American Idol ...

No comments:

Post a Comment